Thursday, September 20, 2012

Homosexual Marriages

 
Before actually reading the passages for this week’s assignment I knew that they were going to contain readings on another person’s views of gay marriages. I had every intention to slander this topic, because I am so closed minded when it comes to this matter, to the point that I get so frustrated over debates that I begin to cry.  But after reading Prop 8 Hurt Family – Ask Me How I was somewhat able to empathize with the people in this passage. Although I am strongly against homosexual relationship, I don’t think that one should be punished, or abused because of their life-choices. 
Prop 8 mentioned that houses were vandalized, profound words were yelled across the yard as children played on their front porches, and death was threatened while driving home from work. No matter how much one is against gay/lesbian marriage acts of violence should never be used to express those feelings. Yes I am 100% against homosexuality, but the value of that person remains, and they should have the respect of a human being no matter their love preference. I have several gay friends, and as much as they know that I will no support their relationships, they still know that they can count on me to be a loving friend towards them. To me it’s a hate the sin love the sinner kind of thing. I mean heck no one is perfect, therefore who has the right to pass judgments?  The quote “before you become critical, check your involvement,” came to my head/heart as I was reading and it made me change my mind about my writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment